If your computer is a few years old or when you simply want Windows to become even faster, there are several ways to improve the performance of your operating system. How to speed up your computer? Below we describe a couple of tricks to make Windows 10 work faster.
How to speed up my Windows 10?
The first step you can take to speed up Windows 10 is to adjust the settings in the System Configuration. To do this, right-click on the Windows logo in the taskbar and select System. Click on Advanced system settings on the left and switch to the Advanced tab in the System Properties window.
Under Performance, click on Settings. You will now be taken to a new window. Open the Visual Effects tab and make sure to select the radio button next to Adjust for best performance. Alternatively, you could go for Custom and manually look for a balance between appearance and performance. Don't forget to save your changes by clicking on OK.
How to speed up Windows via msconfig?
Another eficient option to make Windows 10 run smoother is through msconfig. You can open this menu by pressing the Windows and R keys simultaneously. Now type msconfig and click OK to open the settings.
In the window that has now popped up, go to the Boot tab and add check the box next to No GUI boot. This disables the graphical startup interface of Windows 10, allowing your system to boot noticeably faster than before.
How to increase the hard drive performance in Windows 10?
Certain files on your hard drive, such as temporarily installation files, can considerably slow down the performance of your PC. The free application CCleaner offers a quick and reliable way to get rid of all unnecessary files on your computer.
Another method to clean up your hard drive is by means of Windows 10's own Disk Cleaner. The quickest and easiest way to open this tool is by simultaneously pressing the Windows and R keys. In the Run dialog Window, type cleanmgr and choose OK.
How to adjust Windows 10 power options for better performance?
Windows 10 is designed to be energy efficient. By default, Microsoft sets all computers to a Balanced power plan. This plan automatically balances performance with energy consumption. If you are experiencing issues with the performance of Windows 10, you could try to change the power plan to High performance. This works as follows:
In the search box in the taskbar, type power options and click on the corresponding search result. A new window will now appear, where you can choose between three different power plans: Balanced, Power saver and High performance.
How to remove malware and viruses from your Windows 10 PC?
Last but definitely not least: If you feel that your Windows 10 computer is slow, it might be the result of a malware or virus infection. Check out this article to learn more about how to protect your PC from viruses.
- Change your computer name on Windows 10: via cmd, settings
- How to turn off system sounds on Windows 10
- How to fix F1 error at Windows startup?
- PC restarting on its own: Windows 10, 11
- Reset Windows password: via cmd, without logging in
- Where apps are stored on Windows 10?
- LAN settings on Windows 10: check and configure
- How to turn on and use Wake on LAN on a PC?
- Show hidden files on Windows 10: via cmd, shortcut
- How to change Windows 10's default photo viewer?
- Permanently disable Windows Defender in Windows 10
- How to disable volume shadow copy?
- Update to Windows 10 for free
- How to install the latest Windows 10 update?
- Clear the Windows update cache: via cmd, Notepad
- How to clear your Bluetooth sync history in Windows 10?
- How to adjust default virtual memory size on Windows 10?
- Windows calendar show week number
- How to increase your PC hard disk space?
- Delete Windows.old from Windows 10: via CCleaner, Start menu
- Install RSync under Windows: cygwin, powershell
- Multi-touch gestures on Windows 10: enable and disable
- Command prompt: Windows 10, commands, shortcut
- How to empty the Recycle bin on C drive in Windows 10?
- Fix corrupted driver: Code 39, Windows 10
- Disable Ctfmon.exe at startup on Windows 10
- Play music on computer startup: Windows 10, Windows 7
- Mount ISO files: Windows 10
- How to right click on touch screen: Windows 10, monitor
- Identify your motherboard on Windows 10: via cmd, DirectX
- Reinstall Windows 10 without losing data: via USB or ISO
- How to customize Mail app settings on Windows 10
- Save documents as PDF: on Windows 10, 8 and 7
- Windows 10 Quick Access menu: customize and edit
- Asus smart gesture not working: after Windows 10 update
- Windows 10 desktop keyboard shortcuts: the ultimate guide
- Change Windows 10 settings: language and region
- How to remove password control at login on Windows 10?
- How to change the installation location on Windows 7, 10, 11
- How to activate a pirated version of Windows?
- Pagefile.sys file: purpose, size, location
- Fix touchpad on Windows 10: disabled, incompatible driver
- Disable background apps: on Windows 10, 7, and 8
- God Mode folder on Windows 10: features
- Delete file in Windows: CMD, 10
- Add a printer in Windows 8.1, 10
- How to display Windows 10 update in Control Panel?
- How to create a Windows 10 bootable USB or installation DVD?
- How to open the Windows 10 registry via cmd
- How to open Internet Explorer in Windows 10 via cmd?
- How to send email attachments on Windows 10?
- How to set up the phone companion app in Windows 10?
- Customize the mouse pointer in Windows 8, 10
- Customize the Send To menu on Windows 10: add items
- How to turn off Taskbar Tidbits in Windows 10
- How to enable classic notifications in Windows 10
- Take photos with your webcam on Windows 7, 10
- How to switch graphics processor on Windows 10
- Open the Device Manager on Windows 10: via cmd, run, shortcut
- How to hide desktop icons on Windows 10?
- Desktop icons missing Windows: 10, 7, after update
- How to boot in safe mode in Windows 8, 10?
- How to create a desktop shortcut for Cortana: WIndows 10
- Send text messages from Windows 10 via Your Phone app
- How to change Cortana search engine: to Google
- Windows 10: Home Vs Pro
- Pin Run to the Windows Start menu: on Windows 7/8/10
- Best Windows 10 browser: 2022, for privacy
- USB not recognized: Windows 10 fix
- How to uninstall Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
- How to use Cortana in Windows 10
- Speed up PC startup on Windows 7, 8, 10
- How to record screen: Windows 11, 10