Have you discovered a mysterious (and very heavy) folder called Windows.old on your PC? Although it is impossible to send it to the Recycle Bin in the traditional way, it is possible to actually delete it. Here's how to do it.
What is Windows.old?
Whether you've just upgraded to Windows 10 or you've already had it and installed a major update, you may have noticed that your hard drive is running slower than usual. Often, the Windows upgrade process itself is safe and efficient, saving a copy of all files from your previous installation and storing them in a special folder called Windows.old, located in the root of your C drive.
Migrating from a previous version of Windows (like Windows 7 or 8.1) to Windows 10 automatically creates a folder that contains basically your entire old operating system. It can be useful in case you have problems with the upgrade or if you just don't like the new version of Windows. Otherwise, this folder will be uselessly taking up space on your hard drive (it usually weighs between 10 and 25 GB).
If you want to recover it, you have two options: wait for 30 days, after which Windows will automatically delete it, or get rid of it right now by following these steps.
How to delete Windows.old via File Explorer?
Go to File Explorer > This computer and right-click on the C drive. In the context menu that opens, click on Properties.
Under the General tab, click on Disk Cleanup. In the new window, go to Clean Up System Files. Check Previous Windows installations in the list and confirm by clicking OK. The Windows.old folder should now disappear, freeing up a lot of space on your computer.
How to delete Windows.old with CCleaner?
The CCleaner program also offers you, within the Advanced category of the Cleaner, the possibility of deleting old versions of Windows.
How to restore Windows.old?
If, on the other hand, you want to go back to the previous version of Windows, the first thing you should do is make sure you have enough space to continue with this operation.
In File Explorer > This computer, right-click on the C drive and select Properties. Repeat this operation with the Windows.old folder and check that it is smaller than the space available on your C drive that we saw in the previous step.
If it is, follow the instructions on How to restore system on Windows 10.
What to do if the Windows.old folder is empty?
If the folder appears empty, first check that you have configured Windows to display hidden files and folders.
If it still appears empty even though all the files should be visible, it's probably because some program has deleted the contents of this directory without your authorization. In this case, you can try to recover the data.
- How to delete windows.old
- How to delete windows.old folder
- Windows.old delete
- How to delete Windows image backup file > Guide
- How to delete files that cannot be deleted on Windows? > Guide
- Windows 10 desktop keyboard shortcuts: the ultimate guide > Guide
- Clear the Windows update cache: via cmd, Notepad > Guide
- Asus recovery partition: missing, deleted, Windows 10 > Guide
- Change your computer name on Windows 10: via cmd, settings
- How to turn off system sounds on Windows 10
- How to fix F1 error at Windows startup?
- PC restarting on its own: Windows 10, 11
- Reset Windows password: via cmd, without logging in
- Where apps are stored on Windows 10?
- LAN settings on Windows 10: check and configure
- How to turn on and use Wake on LAN on a PC?
- Show hidden files on Windows 10: via cmd, shortcut
- How to change Windows 10's default photo viewer?
- Permanently disable Windows Defender in Windows 10
- How to disable volume shadow copy?
- Update to Windows 10 for free
- How to install the latest Windows 10 update?
- How to clear your Bluetooth sync history in Windows 10?
- How to adjust default virtual memory size on Windows 10?
- Windows calendar show week number
- How to increase your PC hard disk space?
- Install RSync under Windows: cygwin, powershell
- Multi-touch gestures on Windows 10: enable and disable
- Command prompt: Windows 10, commands, shortcut
- How to empty the Recycle bin on C drive in Windows 10?
- Speed up Windows 10 computer performance
- Fix corrupted driver: Code 39, Windows 10
- Disable Ctfmon.exe at startup on Windows 10
- Play music on computer startup: Windows 10, Windows 7
- Mount ISO files: Windows 10
- How to right click on touch screen: Windows 10, monitor
- Identify your motherboard on Windows 10: via cmd, DirectX
- Reinstall Windows 10 without losing data: via USB or ISO
- How to customize Mail app settings on Windows 10
- Save documents as PDF: on Windows 10, 8 and 7
- Windows 10 Quick Access menu: customize and edit
- Asus smart gesture not working: after Windows 10 update
- Change Windows 10 settings: language and region
- How to remove password control at login on Windows 10?
- How to change the installation location on Windows 7, 10, 11
- How to activate a pirated version of Windows?
- Pagefile.sys file: purpose, size, location
- Fix touchpad on Windows 10: disabled, incompatible driver
- Disable background apps: on Windows 10, 7, and 8
- God Mode folder on Windows 10: features
- Delete file in Windows: CMD, 10
- Add a printer in Windows 8.1, 10
- How to display Windows 10 update in Control Panel?
- How to create a Windows 10 bootable USB or installation DVD?
- How to open the Windows 10 registry via cmd
- How to open Internet Explorer in Windows 10 via cmd?
- How to send email attachments on Windows 10?
- How to set up the phone companion app in Windows 10?
- Customize the mouse pointer in Windows 8, 10
- Customize the Send To menu on Windows 10: add items
- How to turn off Taskbar Tidbits in Windows 10
- How to enable classic notifications in Windows 10
- Take photos with your webcam on Windows 7, 10
- How to switch graphics processor on Windows 10
- Open the Device Manager on Windows 10: via cmd, run, shortcut
- How to hide desktop icons on Windows 10?
- Desktop icons missing Windows: 10, 7, after update
- How to boot in safe mode in Windows 8, 10?
- How to create a desktop shortcut for Cortana: WIndows 10
- Send text messages from Windows 10 via Your Phone app
- How to change Cortana search engine: to Google
- Windows 10: Home Vs Pro
- Pin Run to the Windows Start menu: on Windows 7/8/10
- Best Windows 10 browser: 2022, for privacy
- USB not recognized: Windows 10 fix
- How to uninstall Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
- How to use Cortana in Windows 10
- Speed up PC startup on Windows 7, 8, 10
- How to record screen: Windows 11, 10