Microsoft Excel gives users the flexibility to configure data and perform very basic operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division by using shortcuts or custom formulas. This article will introduce some of the most basic functions and formulas offered by Microsoft Excel.
NB: It's important to note that all formulas must be preceded by the = sign. If the symbol is not found, Microsoft Excel will recognize the entry as plain text.
If you'd like to find the sum of your data data in rows A1 to A10 in your spreadsheet, you may do so by using the following formula:
If you are looking to add data in cells that are not juxtaposed, you may do so by simply typing =SUM and clicking directly on the cells you'd like to include. Make sure that the cells listed are surrounded by parenthesis (i.e. =SUM(A1, A3; C4)).
If you'd like to find the average of your data in rows A1 to A10 in your spreadsheet, you may do so by using the following formula:
Maximum and Minimum formula
These two formulas may be used to find the maximum and minimum numbers of data points located in rows A1 to A10 in your spreadsheet:
The IF function
The IF function may be used to apply a condition to your data. For example, if a manager would like to be notified when stock on a product reaches zero, he may use this function to program a custom notification to appear in an adjacent cell. This sort of formula would look like this:
IF(A1 <= 0; "to order", "in stock")
In this case, if the contents of cell A1 is less than or equal to zero, the words "to order" will appear in an adjacent cell. If the contents of cell A1 is greater than zero, the column will read "in stock."
A more general IF function would look like this:
= IF (condition; value "if true"; value "otherwise")
Freeze cells on Excel
Freezing cells allows you to keep an area of your worksheet visible when you scroll to another area of the page. It's important to note that you can only freeze rows at the top of your worksheet and columns on the left side of your worksheet. You cannot freeze rows and columns in the middle.
- To freeze specific tabs, head to the View tab.
- Here, you have the option to either Freeze Top Row or Freeze Top Column.
- Click either option to lock your cells in place.
- If you'd like to lock multiple rows, simply select the row below the last row you'd like to freeze and then head to the View tab > Freeze Panes. Note that all rows up to and including row one will be locked.
- To freeze multiple columns, highlight the column to the right of the last column that you'd like to freeze, and then head to the View tab > Freeze Panes. Note that all columns up to and including column A will be locked.
How to create custom Excel functions?
To create a custom function on Excel, you will need to use the VBA programming language, but don’t worry, you don’t have to be a programmer to do it. Read our article about Macros in Excel and how to work in the Developer mode to create your own functions and automate them in Excel.
- Excel formule
- Excel formules
- Formules in excel
- How to change date format in excel to dd/mm/yyyy > Guide
- Transfer data from one excel worksheet to another automatically > Guide
- Excel @ in formula [solved] > Forum - Excel
- How to change author name in excel > Guide
- Compare two worksheets and paste differences to another sheet - excel vba free download [solved] > Forum - Excel
- How to take screenshot in Excel: shortcut, sheet, cell
- Fix arrows keys in Excel: Scroll lock, alternative method
- How to apply a function to multiple sheets on Excel
- Convert numbers to words in Excel: without VBA, formula
- How to enable VBA in Excel: Mac, Office 365
- How many IF statements can you nest in Excel
- How to display multiple columns in a validation list
- How to use Excel color cell if formula
- Check if a value exists in an array VBA
- How to use an IF statement to add 1 to total
- How to perform a partial cell match in Excel?
- VBA select case like: operator, string, statement
- Search and find using VBA in Excel
- How to run macro when data entered in a cell
- What is the VBA code to select last sheet in workbook
- How to insert file path in excel: cell, sheet
- Open and convert an Excel file in Notepad
- How to disable auto recover in Excel
- How to insert GIF in Excel: 365, sheet, VBA
- VBA Excel color codes: index number, list
- How to count names in Excel: formula, using COUNTIF
- How to enter multiple lines in a single Excel cell
- How combine IF function, SEARCH and ISERROR in Excel
- Run macro on opening: worksheet, workbook
- Create new sheet based on cell value: Excel, macro
- Recalculate Excel workbook before saving
- How to change a column to numeric in Excel?
- Repeat rows in Excel: based on cell value, VBA
- Insert a hyperlink in Excel: with text, to another tab
- Insert picture in Excel: cell, shortcut, using formula
- How to manipulate data in Excel: VBA
- How to automatically transfer data between sheets in Excel
- Select the default number of processors in Excel
- How to create a cascading combo box: Excel, VBA
- How to transfer data from one Excel sheet to another?
- How to add a number of days to a date in Excel
- How to add sheet to workbook: VBA, Excel
- Recover Excel file: previous version
- Mark sheet grade formula in Excel: template
- How to calculate VAT in Excel: formula
- Excel functions in French
- How to copy a Macro into a blank cell
- How to generate email notifications for Excel updates
- How to fill multiple Excel sheets from master sheet
- How to apply if function in Excel: with dates, with text
- Excel send value to another cell
- How to create calculator in Excel VBA
- Split a workbook into individual files in Excel
- Unlock password protected Excel file: Macro
- Select empty cell in Excel: VBA
- Excel export data: from one sheet to another
- Using VBA to find last non empty row: in column, in table
- How to create UserForm: in Excel, VBA
- How to connect VB 6.0 with MS Access
- Copy data from one Excel workbook to another
- Excel VBA add command button programatically
- How to use Excel auto numbering formula
- How to remove leading apostrophe in Excel
- How to change enter key function in Excel
- Compare two Excel sheets: and combine data
- How to insert a transparent image into an Excel document
- How to count occurrences of characters and numbers in Excel
- How to change Excel date format
- Conditional formatting with dates: in Excel
- How to copy data to another workbook: using VBA
- Delete duplicates in Excel: column, formula
- How to show or hide formula bar in Excel: VBA, shortcut
- Transfer Excel data from one sheet to another: VBA
- Send email with attachment Excel: VBA, macros
- Create a new workbook and copy data in Excel via a Macro
- How to change row color in Excel VBA based on value
- Auto generate serial number in Excel: VBA, formula
- Transfer a worksheet to another Excel workbook: without VBA
- Insert an image into an Excel comment box
- Shortcuts to insert in Excel
- Run Macros in Excel: online, shortcuts, VBA
- How to clear formatting in Excel
- How to create a timer in Excel VBA
- Credit summation formula
- How to create a drop-down list in Excel
- Update dates in Excel spreadsheet: each year, formula
- How to use conditional formatting in Excel
- How to split text in columns in Excel
- How to copy data to multiple worksheets in Excel
- How to insert multiple rows in Excel with a macro?
- Excel IF, AND, OR, and NOT functions
- How to insert blank rows using macros in Excel
- How to use spreadsheets: introduction, formulas, functions